Attracting hummingbirds to your yard is super simple but it can get expensive if you continuously buy store-bought ready-made nectar.
But you don’t need to do that as it is so easy to make your own hummingbird sugar water.
- 1 part white sugar
- 3 parts boiled water
That’s it no more, no less.
- Boil water for 1 minute
- Mix in sugar
- Stir until dissolved
Now that would take less time than buying it!
Tips for hummingbird nectar
- Do not use red dye as it may harm the hummingbirds and is not necessary
- Extra sugar water can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks as long as it is mold-free.
- You can use tap water but boiling is best to extend the store time and the sugar will dissolve more quickly
- Hang feeders in shade and near to trees
- Empty feeders and clean them every 2 days